If you build it...

I want this bed!
About a week and a half ago I was searching the internet for ideas (maybe plans) on how to make a tufted storage ottoman. I didn't find what I wanted. But I found SO MUCH MORE. I love Pottery Barn stuff, I really do. However, those price tags give me indigestion. I like Ikea stuff. Some of it is close to what I want, but not really it. A scratch on particle board makes it look like junk, but a scratch on wood gives a piece of furniture character. You really can't do much with Ikea stuff if your nearly 16-month-old bangs her toys on it and scratches the finish. But with wood, well, distressed is in. Plus it's fun to work with power tools.

Yes, I'm gonna make my furniture myself. After all, my secret little dream is to live in a house I built myself with everything inside made by me. That's what Ana White basically has done. Plus, she's got this great website (Knock-Off Wood) with free plans to make all the furniture I want. And she simplifies the construction so that anyone can do it.

Now I just need a personal lumber yard.